Saturday 3 October 2015

Getting your coal delivered

I don't know much about this photo other than I picked it up at an antique flea market a few years ago. What is interesting are the bags of coal in the rear of the truck. I remember hearing about bagged coal being delivered to homes years ago. Our first house had a coal converted to gas furnace with a coal storage area still built into the basement. My father-in-law recently showed me his old coal shifter he used when cleaning out the furnace as a kid...he sifted the coal dust reusing the chunks in the furnace and dumping the dust on the driveway. No waste back then. The coal dust packed down well on the driveway making a good base for parking on. I think this type of load would make a great model on a layout...George Dutka

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cool photo. I love the things that can be found at flea markets. I usually can find some really old stuff that make for a good conversation in the future. It is crazy how things change and interesting that they used to deliver coal to your home. It is certainly not something most people would even think about ordering now.

    Randall Rogers @ R J Heating and Cooling

    ReplyDelete