|The upgraded section house is ready to be re-installed on the W&Q module.|
Maine Two Foot Prototype Section House
Upgrading my completed structure
On my On30" Wiscasset & Quebec module I have two structures. One is the freight house and the other a section house which emulates the style found on the SR&RL. I had built two others in HO scale in the past following Dave Frary's plans found in the April 1969, RMC.
|All the sides are seen ready to be glued together. My structure is not an exact copy of Dave's RMC plans but resembles what he built in the article. I had to work with a size that would fit and look right on my module.|
|Ready for painting. Unfortunately I never took a photo of the building prior to the upgrade.|
In 2010 I constructed an O scale version using Mt. Albert Scale Model 4.5" clapboard siding. I used Grandt Line 8 pane windows #3702 and a Grandt Line freight door #3618. The walls are painted Floquil concrete then given a coat of grime. The trim, door and windows are painted Floquil CNW green which received a coat of flat finish once finished. CNW paint has a gloss finish to it. The roof is a sheet of styrene covered with masking tape painted grimy black. The section house was glued in place on my W&Q module with a few added details piled beside the structure.
This past winter while I was completing my W&Q module, I had to make a decision about painting the freight house. I always thought the trim on the section house was too dark. I wanted to have the two structures painted similar. Peter Mumby was at the point that his station-yard office needed some paint also. I decided that the W&Q company trim colour would be changed to Floquil coach green. At that point I decided to upgrade the section house also. Since I finished the structure I had done about a dozen other buildings. What I am finding is my structure models have really improved in the three years since I built this model. I also thought this would be an easy upgrade.
|Some of the siding board are pulled up and the nail holes are added prior to adding the Hunterline weathering mix.|
I began by brush painting all the trim, windows and door Floquil coach green. I went back over the siding adding nail holes with a pin and also lifting some of the boards. I then washed the walls with a coat of Hunterline weathering mix, followed by a dusting of Bragdon gray and brown powders. The window frames also got a coating of powder. I pulled out the clear plastic window glazing and airbrushed it with Floquil flat finish. I wanted the windows to look dirty. The roof got a brushing of Bragdon soot mixed with a bit of dark rust. The structure looks great now. I am really glad I took the time to try some of my newer finishes and techniques...George Dutka