Saturday 26 January 2019

FOS Ice House Kit

The finished model. I added a bit of extra details not included in the kit.
I am building this ice house to be included in a waterfront scene that will include standard and narrow gauge trackage. It was an easy kit to complete. I think it took about 3 afternoons working on and off the project. More on this kit later next week...George Dutka

This kit needs some bracing even though it is small in size. The instructions are really good and easy to follow.
The walls are all glued together and the roofing is ready for painting also.
The walls got a coat of Hunterline creosote stain and the roof is painted acrylic dollar store paint black.
I used two tones of PanPastel brown and also some red chalk to weather the walls.
The trim is coloured using micro brushes and PanPastel titanium white.
The base wood is coloured with Hunterline cement and some weathering powders.

Saturday 12 January 2019

Atlantic Scale Modelers Swampcott Dory - Second Look

As mentioned before the main colouring was Hunterline cordovan brown stain. Once dry the whole boat got a coat of PanPastel raw umber shade. Highlights are PanPastel titanium white.
Here are some close-up views and also looking down into the interior of how my model turned out...George Dutka

Some AK slimy grime dark is applied to the interior
The tips of the oars got a bit of Floquil caboose red. The oar chocks are just wire included in the kit. Some small holes are drilled in and glued in place.

Friday 11 January 2019

Building Swampcott Dory

All the parts are laid out and gluing with begin shortly.
Back in the fall I got started on this project. I have had this kit for a number of years. Here is what I got in the package to build the Atlantic Scale Modelers O scale Swampcott dory and how it all went together...George Dutka

The oars will have to be sanded round.
One side is glued on while the second side middle area has been glued on first. This portion of the assembly was the hard part of the construction. Some clamping is required. I just used rubber bands.
The boat is assembled and will shortly be stained.
A side view. The bow and edges are sanded, rounding them out a bit.
All finished off and ready for a ride in the bay. Hunterline Cordovan brown was the main colouring while AK slimy grime dark was used as staining along the water line and bottom. I also dry-brushed the slimy grime over other areas including the interior. Some PanPastels are also used.