Thursday 2 May 2019

Clinic - The Magic of Rust

I had two tables set up for attendants to try their hand rusting up roofing sections. I had assembled about a dozen roofs that could work as awnings or open style sheds. I had a number of my finished roofs scattered around the two tables for inspiration. The gentleman in the plaid shirt is retired CN transportation officer Gary Johnston who worked for a time in my terminal.
At Schomberg I presented a hands on clinic on how I add rust to roofing and rolling stock. About eight attendants gave it a try. It is a very easy technique to learn. I hope to present this clinic once again at other events.

The following was the write-up found on the shows Facebook site.

"Adding rust to structure models and rolling stock is a favourite step with scale railroaders. However, doing it authentically and without overpowering the model is the trick. George is a very accomplished modeller in different scales and gauges. He has shared several building techniques previously and this one is ‘hands-on’: getting rusty.

Maybe you will be in the area next time the clinic is offered and try it yourself, it is a very simple technique...George Dutka

This section of roofing was being weathered by a young lad (maybe 14 years old) who was attending the show with his grandfather as an operator on their HO scale display. He is part way done his roof when I took this photo. He actually completed his roof and it was one of the nicer (rustier) models. I keep hearing there are no young ones in model railroading.
Another completed roof. Two colours of acrylics are used followed by some Bragdon bright rust and a sponge coat of dollar store silver. The base coat I spray painted on the roofs prior to the clinic using gray primer and Princess Auto Iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment